The View From Wisconsin

Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mornington Crescent

I have found a new, unintentional, online addiction.

In my postings on the internet, I stumbled across a section of Blank Label Comics' Community boards called the "Wapsi Pub". The section is more or less like a local pub, where you go in, make general non-comics related posts and thread, and generally go wild.

Well, in this section was a lovely thread called "Mornington Crescent (Round One)". I had absolutely NO idea what this game was all about... but then I looked up the rules.

The rules are very complex, take a lifetime to master, and yet... you know them instantaneously if you've ever read or seen or heard British comedy.

The gag is to try and reach Mornington Crescent Station in the London Underground system. The game is really suited for message board posting, as anyone can take a turn at anytime - and you can end up darn near anywhere in the world (or even the universe!).

It is like an ongoing Monty Python skit, where you're trying to play the Very Silly Party candidate.

I love it.