The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Friday, January 07, 2005
Time to rant a bit:
- The NHL has apparently cancelled its Board of Governor's meeting for next week Friday. (Chicago Herald article here). This means one of two things: the league isn't as united behind The Bettman as he would like us all to believe; OR they realized that if they actually went ahead and cancelled the season, they'd lose a key foundation in their ability to declare an impasse in negotiations. Either way, it looks like the 2005 NHL hockey season won't go out with a bang, but with a whimper.
- I am starting to develop a real attitude towards the illegal alien problem in this country. I have a friend who met a gal online from England a few years ago, got married to her, and they lived together here in the states. Unfortunately, the last year or so their lives have gone downhill (mostly due to his father's death and mother's illness), and he finally filed for divorce. Well, she has now decided to move out of their old condo and head for points unknown. On the one hand, this is good, since it would probably mean she wouldn't contest the terms of divorce - but on the other hand, it looks like he's going to be left holding the proverbial bag. And as for trying to get DHS or the department formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service involved... fugeddaboudit. The police don't want to do anything, because you can't really prosecute someone for not having papers. It's really what's wrong in this country: someone like her can live here, illegally, but not get bothered one bit, so long as she doesn't do anything to trip the notice of the federal, state or municpal governments of the land.
- I forgot how much "fun" a large snowfall - followed by a freezing spell - could be in this wonderful state. Hopefully, those forecasts that say it'll warm up into the 40's by mid-week next week will come true - but then, it'll be a slushy, wet, muddy mess out there. C'est la vie.
- Raise your hand if you actually care where Carlos Beltran goes? No, Mr. Boras, I'm not asking you...
- The current bet: which will happen first, the Miller Park roof will be fixed, or Mark Attanasio's purchase of the Brewers will be completed?
- Congrats to Wade Boggs and Ryne Sandberg for their selection to the Hall of Fame. And as to Mr. Blyleven and Mr. Sutter: they'll get it, eventually.
That's all for now...