The View From Wisconsin

Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Nashville Trip In Review

Once again, it was time to make the annual pilgrimage down to Nashville - not for Fan Fair, not to go see the Upper Room museum, but for hockey. Nashville Predators hockey.

Eriks and I made the usual drive down I-65 through Indiana to the Music City, and it was only semi-eventful. About 12 miles north of Louisville on I-65, we ran over what one of our trucker pals calls a "gator" – a loose tread from a semi that's been blown off. Hit Eriks' car on the right-front rocker panel, did some damage to his fog lamp and the front air dam under the fender. It tore away the air dam and it got lodged on the axle. Fortunately, after the Indiana State Trooper came by and helped us out, it flapped off and we managed to limp to a gas station in Sellersburg to get the fog lamp back on.

We got in to our hotel just in time to get some of the continental breakfast. We weren't working on a whole lot of sleep, but we managed to get some catnaps in.

We went to Eddie's Sports Bar, in the Hilton right across from the GEC, for our pregame meet and greet. Eddie's is a nice place, but it was a bit spread out for my liking. It was great to see some of our board regulars out there. BC, Volsh, Hockous, 9-inch, and company – and, of course, our lovely hostess Adzy. (Thanks for the gifts, by the way). A big thanks to JB for helping us with the cameras once we were inside.

Boy, I missed being in the GEC. I was floating most of the night – that is, when I wasn't yelling my fool head off. That mini "dog dish/pool ornament" looks great on my desk. I see that the on-rink advertising has reached a new point… on the blue and red lines, the RBK logo was firmly ensconced on the side boards. I couldn't quite tell what the patch was that the Preds wore, but anticipate that the location where it was may be filled by advertising in the near future.

As for the game: oh my, if this is what NHL hockey in Nashville is gonna be like in 2005-06, Baptist better get their cardiac care unit ready. This was non-stop action, kids. I think we got our first icing call halfway through the third period (though I could be wrong with that).

The Preds came out with fire in the first period, but committed the cardinal sin of hockey: allowing your opponent to score in the final minute of play of the period. That goal changed the flow of the game to where they were on their heels most of the second period – and it showed.

It's really true that you can't play "sloppy defense" like you did back in the "old days" anymore. Your D-men have to be fast, rugged and ready to play back at any time. We learned that the hard way when the Sharks took the 2-1 lead in the second.

I don't think we'll have to worry about our World-Class Goaltender (Tomas Vokoun) and his new pads. They looked just fine for him, and it was only a few minor problems that gave San Jose their two goals.

And about "the penalty" – I'm going to admit something here. I saw a whole bunch of games last year in the AHL. I heard Kyle Shultz call a bunch of games on the radio. I have never, ever, EVER seen any goaltender get called for delay of game like that. I was always under the impression that it wasn't where the puck was, it was where the goaltender's feet were. I saw the puck go into the crook of the little corner of the "trapezoid", and that was where TV played it. However, Tomas' entire body was standing in front of the line, and he was not in the no-touch zone at all. I hope the two idiots on the ice understand that rule, because I sure as heck don't.

I'd like to know where everyone who was going to boo Walker was when he came out? Everyone must have forgotten when he scored the first goal of the season.

Good to see Paul Kariya get his first goal in the third. That first shift he was on the ice, every single person in the building stood up when he took the puck into the attacking zone. He scores there, game's over, kids. Speaking of the 9-10-11 line: I'm not entirely sure that's the right line for the job. It's going to take a long time for those three to gel together (KLM line?), and you could see the missed passes.PK had a lot of rust out there. He wasn't alone; Perreault looked like he didn't have a clue sometimes.

Did anyone, anyone out there think that the first "hit" of the night was going to be made by… Marek Zidlicky?

The "future" pairing on defense, along with the "Two Hobbits and an Inuk" line, just made me proud. Our boys from Milwaukee are all growed up now. (smile) Brings a tear to my eye. Vern Fiddler was great on the Penalty Kill – I think Claude may have told Barry something. And Simon is going to be a star with this team, mark my words.

Speaking of "Marks" – anyone notice the "Mark II" pairing on D? Looks like we have Timmo-Zids, Mark and Markov, and the D Of The Future line. Oh, and very queitly, you saw the first professional points by Ryan Suter last night. He earned the 20, that's for sure. Dad's gotta be proud.

I was glad to see Craig Leipold and his parents at the game. I can only imagine the huge relief it must have been to get the game back on solid ground. (pause here for those who are anti-Bettman to wretch)

I was slightly disappointed that only Adam Hall came out to sign autographs post-game. You'd think they would try to get out, sign autographs and all for these fans who have gone 17-plus months without hockey. It's a minor thing, but every little bit helps.