The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Saturday, May 20, 2006
- Barry Bonds hit his 714th home run today. Meanwhile, the rest of the world is wondering how far England can go in the World Cup without Man U Forward Wayne Rooney. In other words - a great yawn was heard across the land.
- Michael Barrett is gonna be sitting for a while for that little punch to Pierzynski. That was something you'd expect in the NHL, not interleague play. Good for Podsednik to stand up for his teammate, though. I wonder if he can skate at all?
- I am completely bummed. Duncan's Variety Store in downtown Pewaukee is going to be closing this year. The owners cited one major reason for the closing: the big Wal-Mart store that just opened earlier this year a few miles away on Captiol and 164. It's sad, as Duncan's was the kind of friendly, home-town store that made you glad you live in Pewaukee.
- I was informed by a friend that at an evening showing of The Da Vinci Code at a theater in downtown Burlington, there was a single protester outside the building. He garnered some attention, but apparently didn't stop anyone from going inside to see the movie.
- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro pulled up lame before he even reached the first turn of the Preakness. It would be a shame if he had to be put down. Unfortunately, the Triple Crown has seen more than its share of tragedies and failures than successes. The horse racing business does that to you.
- Anaheim and Buffalo have jumped off to 1-0 leads in their conference finals series. Anyone who believed those two teams could have even made it to the conference finals (outside the fans of the teams) would have been labeled crazy back in October.