The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Tuesday, March 02, 2010
This just in: John Shuster just tried to swipe his ATM card, but it slipped and now a little old lady in Chisholm, Minnesota needs new glasses.
On to other things:
On to other things:
- Why, why, why, why, WHY did it have to be Sidney Crosby? Nine times out of ten, that goal is scored by some absolute nobody that no one has ever heard of - the third-line guy who sneaks in and puts it by the goaltender because no one thinks of him as a scoring threat. The big star is practically never the guy to score that goal. What's worse, Sidney is now about ten times the National Hero in Canada than he was before. The man isn't going to have to buy dinner anywhere in any province for pretty much the rest of his life. Stanley Cup, Olympic gold medal... sheesh.
- Really? It went right through the net? I've seen Shea Weber's booming shot before, but even that impressed me.
- Has the party stopped on Bourbon Street for the Saints yet? I lost track.
- Dear Apollo: whining won't get you any more medals. It only make you lose respect in the eyes of the sports world. Good teams and good players overcome bad officiating.
- The backtalk about "what's best for hockey" has already begun. It seems like there's a million ideas as how the NHL should take advantage of their Olympic "boost", but none of them are truly realistic. The NFL is all about the teams, while the NBA is all about the players - and the NHL is all about Canada. I don't have any ideas (other than my "power-play overtime" thingy), and I'm a bit too close to the sport to be objective.
- Spring training has opened in Florida, and the first games are soon to start in the Arizona sunshine. There are a lot of interesting storylines, but the one I'm most concerned about is the starting rotation of the Brewers. Specifically, can any of these guys go enough innings and perform well enough that we can have Trevor Time on a regular basis?
- The Bucks are currently in the seventh spot in the Eastern Conference standings, which doesn't mean much with about a quarter of the season left. Brandon Jennings is helping this squad a lot, but I'm not sure they've got enough to hang with the Cavs, Hawks, Celtics or Magic - especially not in the playoffs.
- I'm still waiting for a return call or e-mail about my glasses. I purchased a pair of glasses from an online retailer that advertises on XM Radio, and they arrived Monday - but, to my chagrin, they turned out to be smaller in size than my current pair. I went to get them adjusted today, but as the lab tech was fixing the temples, the right lens snapped out of the frame. I'm refraining from referring to the company until I get some sort of response back from them about the issue.