The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Friday, May 23, 2014
Why yes, I still blog. I feel like I'm telnetting or something when I do it, though. So, here's some thoughts about things and other things.
- Donald Sterling's machinations in an attempt at keeping some control over his team, while interesting at some point, are doomed to failure. Knowing what I do about his past so far, I almost fear the NBA would have to outright terminate the Clippers franchise to keep him out of the NBA. And, maybe, as an ultimate blow-up, pull an NHA move. (The NHA, in 1917, decided to cease operations instead of continue with a particular owner in charge of their Toronto franchise. A few months later, they returned as the National Hockey League.) It'd be messy, but in the end, the NBA would win, and Sterling would lose.
- Dear Ron Roenicke: You know what happens when you assume things.
- Daniel Carcillo should have just skated away, and then turned and gone after the Habs player in question. I don't justify ever striking an official, but I'd have to think that the linesman said something that made him do the double forearm push. He had better hope the Rags take the series to seven and get to the finals.
- There seems to be an inverse relationship as of late between officiating and the level of importance of the game being played. The more important the game - conference championship, league title, etc. - the worse the officiating becomes. Players aren't the only ones who choke under pressure.
- Speaking of pressure: I've been trying not to turn on the Billy Joel Channel on SiriusXM, because every time I listen, I'm reminded of exactly how long Billy has been doing this music thing. I mean, I remember when he had hair, fercryinoutloud.
- Ha-Ha. I just wanted that to be the first reference on my blog.
- If I had a gift certificate for US$100 at OYO Sports Toys, I think I'd go nuts with some of the stuff they have there. Like the Predators players, or the Zamboni. Though, come to think of it, I could probably build a Zamboni out of the LEGO parts I have now.
- Plans for a new Bucks arena on the site of the old Park Freeway is such a no-brainer, the only way you could argue against it is if you either a.) don't have a brain or b.) you don't like sports. That being said, I am still somewhat saddened that the Bradley Center became outdated as a sports facility so quickly; it is a very well built place that had a great open concept - but it was essentially the NBA version of U.S. Cellular Field (aka New Comiskey Park). Arena construction concepts changed dramatically after it was built, and as a result it became antiquated.
- I was not surprised when Barry Trotz was let go at the end of the Predators' regular season back in April. Peter Laviolette's hiring was a bit of a surprise, however. I have a feeling that the Preds are going to either fall flat on their faces over this move, or surprise a lot of people.
- I think it's time for term limits for elected officials - except for judges - in the state of Wisconsin. I doubt that neither my assemblyman nor my state senator would be for this idea, but I many just decide to drop them an e-mail about the subject.
- I think this is where I'd say something funny in parting, but I'm at a loss.