The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Sunday, March 27, 2005
Everyone out there whose brackets were shot this weekend, raise your hands. I thought so...
- Well, it's not like we expected the Big Ten to have its own invitational tournament at the Final Four, now, did we? The Badgers showed they were up to the task of the Tar Heels, but they couldn't get over the hump at the end. Personally, I think the ACC needs to consider scheduling more contests against the Big Ten - then they can really say they're the best conference in the country.
- The Illini have everything in the world going for them - and every reason in the world to win the National Championship. I do believe the whole thing over Bruce Pearl was overblown, but if they cut down the nets in Saint Louis, they'll deserve it.
- Rick Pitino would own the state of Kentucky if he beats the Illini and the UNC/MSU winner for the title. All those people in Lexington who were angry when he bolted for the Celtics would have a double coniption fit - and probably demand Tubby Smith's head on a platter.
- Roy Williams can make his Alma Mater's program his own if he manages to win in Saint Louis. It took Dean Smith only how long to finally win the NCAA's?
- Michigan State is the underdog in all of this. Tom Izzo's got this bunch far above where everyone thought they should be. A rematch between the Spartans and the Illini would have Big Ten followers drooling for a year.