The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Saturday, May 07, 2005
A couple of things for a Saturday evening:
- Steinbrenner's horse in the Derby was a lot like the Yankees over the last few years: looks good out the gate, comes down strong in the final turn, but disappears when it's down to the wire.
- There has GOT to be a time when Ned Yost has to consider sitting J.J. Hardy - for the good of the team. J.J. has not shown he is capable of handling big-league pitching, and with the Brewers not set in their offensive ways, it's time to give the spot to someone else. If that means Spivey and Hall up the middle, so be it.
- Whilst doing some channel surfing, I came across a tidbit: the 1953 Chevrolet Corvette was sticker-priced at $3,490. Using the US Consumer Price Index calculator, that would translate into $25,266.55 in 2005 dollars. The suggested list price of a 2005 Corvette? $44,510 (and that's the low end).
- Really nice of President Bush to notice that the US's inaction caused five decades of repression in the Baltics. However, he should have also pointed out that any action on the part of the US would have extended WWII by about... oh, 10 to 20 years. (And the Baltics would have been glowing at some point during that time.)
- All the crud that's coming out about the former American Idol contestant to ABC sounds more and more like sour grapes. I've never cared much for the show, and I'm thinking it's a lot closer to the end of its shelf life than the beginning. So I'd only have this to say about the whole brou-ha-ha: In the end, does it really matter?
- I really need to get the rest of my website up to date. I haven't updated my "hotlist" since the Clinton administration, and the likelihood that half the links on there are expired is very high. It's tough being one of those who got on the 'net back in the formative days.
- Every time I check my Google Mail, I'm getting a bunch of junk e-mails saying "we have been trying to contact you" and the vaunted "I need your help with a private matter." Sheesh.
- I am very, very disappointed that the BovineUnite.com website was nothing more than a viral marketing ploy for... the Maryland State Lottery? Cows in the state of Wisconsin are considering suing over defamation of character.
- Still no hockey. And trying to follow the IIHF Worlds is difficult when (a) no one's showing the games, and (b) there's a seven-hour time difference between here and Austria.
- By the way: Joe Nathan (27.3) and Dontrell Willis (19.1) are the current leaders in CYP.