The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005
Oh, you do NOT know how hard I'm rooting for the ChiSox to win it all. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING, would piss off Cub fans more than seeing the White Sox win a World Series before their beloved Northsiders.
As to the rest of the universe:
As to the rest of the universe:
- A blocked punt in the end zone for a touchdown, and the Axe is still in Wisconsin. That's gotta be the strangest play in the history of Badger football. And, Bucky is still in the hunt for the Big Ten title, thanks to bad things in Happy Valley.
- The Angels lost the ALCS due to mental lapses. When that happens, it's debatable as to whether or not they deserve to win. Pierzynski will be hated forever in SoCal.
- Ah, the Astros. The most star-crossed franchise in baseball history, this side of the Brooklyn Dodgers. One strike away, and that little **** David Eckstein lines a base hit to left, takes second on indifference, and Lidge suddenly forgets how to pitch. Walk to Edmonds, and here comes the big guy, Pujols. Albert Pujols, the son of former Astro Luis Pujols... and he nearly knocks it out onto Crawford Street.
- OLN really has to get this black-flashing-screen issue taken care of before the end of this month. The network's official explanation is that they are switching the signal to a different converter code, so they can enforce NHL blackout policy. Only problem is, they're doing it during the game - and it's causing the picture to flash in-and-out at odd times. There are other minor technical problems with their broadcasts, but they'll go away with time.
- I actually went back and checked: the first icing call on opening night was 8:32 into the third period... that means that we went 48:32 without either team team shooting the puck down the ice for a stoppage. Amazing. Welcome to the New NHL.
- Since I'm no longer able to buy ringtones from my cell provider, I went and bought a converter cable from Cell Phone Shop that will plug into my Nokia, and I can add tones from my computer. And, I can finally put some Preators wallpaper on my cell, too... :)
- On the plus side, at least the Admirals only have six games on the schedule this month. Too bad they've already lost three of them. :(
- I've put in my "It's Your Choice" request to change my insurance to Humana from Compcare Blue. The state didn't give me much choice; Compcare dropped down from a Tier 1 plan to Tier 2 - which would double my monthly premium. However, there were two plusses to the switch: not only do I get to keep my doctor for the same price, but I also get visits to my dentist covered as well. This is a big deal, mostly because of my wife - who is deathly afraid of dentists. She has been seeing her dentist in Racine since she was a kid, and now I don't have to keep supplementary insurance just so she can see him.
- With the latest round of players in the NHL that have gotten hit with a puck in the face, I have to wonder if now may be the time to make visors mandatory. Maybe the NHLPA needs to look at it from a revenue standpoint: make ITECH the "official visor" of the NHL, and get the extra money towards the cap limit.
- I can't cut Culpepper from the Bulls of the NQRFPTFL. I don't know why Yahoo went with this "can't cut" list, especially when we didn't have a physical draft. The man can't do anything right at the moment, and the Viqueens are headed down the tubes faster than a toilet flush.