The View From Wisconsin

Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Asperger on Rye, Hold the Mayo

A friend of my wife pointed something out to me the other day, and it's been both revealing and bothering me to no end.

In doing some informal research with my wife, she's determined that Sarah may have something called Asperger's Syndrome - essentially, a higher-functioning version of Autism.

For those of you who might not know specifically what Autism is: Autism is defined as a "psychiatric disorder of childhood characterized by marked deficits in communication and social interaction, preoccupation with fantasy, language impairment, and abnormal behavior, such as repetitive acts and excessive attachment to certain objects. It is usually associated with intellectual impairment." (Taken from dictionary.com)

The difference between Asperger's and autism is that someone with AS doesn't have the communication deficits or a full language impairment.

Unfortunately, knowing all this doesn't help me much, as AS is hard to diagnose properly - and is not, at this time, "curable".

I'm looking in to a lot of background books and such about AS; I may be using this blog as a means of sharing what I find as time goes on.