The View From Wisconsin

Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Geneaology Fun, Part 2

I'm slowly learning that, when it comes to researching your family history, sometimes the stuff you're not looking for comes to you at the strangest times.

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon trying to track down an obituary for one of my grandfather's brothers, Peter Houk. I wasn't having too much success, though; I did find the obituary of my grandfather's oldest brother's wife, but that was about it.

So, I decided to head out to St. Bruno's Catholic Church in Dousman to do some gravesite searching. I felt a little sheepish that I had to ask where the church was at a local gas station (I'm not as familiar with the area as I'd like to be), but I found the "new" church site. When I asked if Peter was buried there, they said they'd have to contact the caretaker of the cemetary about whether or not he was there. They did say I was free to go over to the cemetary - located on the site of the "old" church - to look around.

The old church was out on the other end of town, and I wasn't entirely sure about what I might find out there... until I saw my great grandfather and grandmother's gravestones. Right at their feet was another Houk... but it was their youngest daughter, my great Aunt Alice Pitt. I did some more poking around, looking around in the cemetary. I saw a lot of familiar names from my genealogy research, like Mundschau.

After a brief stop at another cemetary in Oconomowoc - St. Jerome's, where my grandfather and grandmother are buried - I headed home. A few hours later, I got a phone call from the caretaker of the cemetary. I'd already talked to my aunt and my dad about their Uncle Peter, and I was convinced that Peter wasn't buried in Dousman. The caretaker mentioned something to that fact, saying, "well, we have a George and a Barbarra Houk..." The dates he listed for those two - January of 1819 to October 14 of 1900 for George, and 1823-1905 for Barbarra - made me stop dead in my tracks.

Those were my grandfather's grandparents. And I didn't have any dates or information about them... until now. He also gave me the dates for Charles Houk, my great grandfather's brother (1855-1878).

I had more information than I needed, but it was fantastic.