The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Saturday, August 14, 2004
I haven't ranted for a while, so here goes:
- Anyone out there think that the plethora of tropical storms in the Atlantic are responsible for the cool, crappy weather we're getting up here in the Midwest? We've got people who swear that Whistling Straits is located somewhere in Scotland, not Wisconsin.
- Speaking of which: I yawn in the general direction of Tiger. It's about time he had a nice large serving of humble pie; he has to appreciate what he got so fast early in his career.
- All I ask for is that the Brewers get back to .500 before the end of the season - please?
- Count me as completely underwhelmed by the Athens Olympiad. I just don't really care to see "athletes" competing in events which I have no attachment to or for. Of course, I'm more of a winter Olympics junkie, so I guess I'm biased.
- For those of you who don't understand why the President went after Iraq after 9/11, I have a news flash for you: how do you think this whole thing got started, anyways? Idiot-boy Hussein decided to invade Kuwait, US goes to help Kuwait, Bin Laden gets po'ed at US for putting troops on Saudi grounds, forms al-Qaida to get revenge... have I lost you, Senator Kerry?
- I wonder if anyone will notice my new hat from the Bush online store (http://www.georgewbushstore.com/200-2000.htm) at work...
- T-minus one month to hockey armageddon. This note cheerfully brought to you on the ten-year anniversary of a strike that knocked out a World Series.
- Someone wanna 'splain to me why the Packers aren't starting the preseason until the middle of next week? Is Tags Tagliabue giving the Packers a pass through the Preseason so Brett doesn't get hurt?
- I love it: whenever there's talk about a new stadium deal for any pro franchise, there's always a sidebar column about people who are against it. Even with the deal that the "city" of Arlington, Texas is apparently working wit the Dallas Cowboys. Apparently, in the umpteen acres of land where old Arlington Stadium used to be by The Ballpark (now known as Ameriquest Field) In Arlington houses a trailer park (Stonegate Pines) which has been around for about 15 years or so. Some of the residents don't want to give up their trailers without a fight. Sheesh.
- You know, I tried, I really tried, to think about buying an NBA jersey. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd just look silly wearing a hoops jersey at 5'4".
- Stick a fork in the White Sox. They're done.
- Wouldn't it be sweet if the Rangers met the Yankees in the ALDS... and swept them in three straight?
- Isn't it somewhat... I don't know, strange? inappropriate?... to have an ESPN25 "Behind The Headlines" report on Pete Rose be followed by an episode of World Series of Poker?
- Quincy Carter, please pick up the white courtesy phone. It's a Mr. Donald Meredith.
- Please, God, let Ron Dayne really be back...
- Ditto Anthony Davis - coz I want to see another Wisconsin Rose Bowl in my lifetime.
"Thank you, try the veal, I'll be here all week..."