The View From Wisconsin

Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Disfarmer at the WHO?

I happened to be reading a back issue of the New Yorker magazine (Sept. 19, 2005 issue) at work the other day when I came across something that surprised me a bit.

Now, normally I don't read the New Yorker, as its contents tend to be a bit too New York-centric, and their opinions tend towards the left-leaning. An example of this would be the "commentary" on how Hurricane Katrina is a symptom of America's consumption of "fossil fuels."

Anyways, it was a photo in the Art Museums and Galleries listing that caught my attention. The photo, a daugerreotype portrait of two men who appear to be hunters or cowboys with their dogs, was apparently one of the photographic works of a man named Disfarmer. The caption, however, blew me away:

An untitled portrait by Disfarmer, on view at Houk. Another show of Disfarmer's vintage prints is at Kasher.

Obviously, I was unaware that there was an art gallery in New York with my name on it. I searched on through the listings, trying to find some other reference to this place in the listings. I found it under the "Galleries – Uptown" portion, under "Short List":

DISFARMER: Houk, 745 Fifth Ave., 212-750-7070. Through Oct. 15.

As soon as I got home, I googled the address and found out that this was the Edwynn Houk Gallery. The artist in question is Mike Disfarmer, and his work is generally in older portraits. The opening reception for the latest Exhibition, Lynn Davis - Water, was last night.

I was impressed by the site, but not enough where I'd want to go to NYC and visit. However, if I ever find myself in the neighborhood...