The View From Wisconsin

Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Symantec No More

The last straw with me has been achieved by Symantec and Norton Anti-Virus.

Last night, innocently trying to get caught up on NHL stats and Olympic curling results, NAV said that Live Update needed to update my virus definitions. Not a biggie, done it many times in the past. It checked to see if there was anything available, and notified me that there were new virus definitions available. No biggie; just click on "continue" and let it download them and we're set, right?

Wrong.

LU went a bit, and then gave an error message: Live Update cannot find any files on the server. When you click the little "click here to see more information about this error" link, it took me to a webpage that called for you to delete some of the core files of LiveUpdate, then restart the program and "rebuild" the definitions.

One little problem: the files in question can't be deleted because they're protected.

Guess what their next suggestion is if that step doesn't work - yep, uninstall and re-install the programs. I decided to do the first part - after downloading a copy of EZArmor from Computer Associates - and ignore the second part.

After all my headaches with Norton on my old Gateway, this one's a no-brainer: Symantec's history with my computers. And that means my iBook, too - if I ever get around to finding another Anti-Virus program that works on the Mac...