The View From Wisconsin

Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Viruses, Sleep Studies and Janet's Betting Habits

I officially reached the surrender point yesterday with my computer. When your Anti-virus program crashes in the middle of a scan, you know you're screwed.

When it come back up and tells you "Please re-install Norton Antivirus", you know you're really screwed.

When you can't even log back in to your own account to even try to re-install your AV – well, it's time to take it in to someone with more experience and more tools. Okay, at least more tools.

The old Gateway is now sitting at the Brookfield Best Buy's Geek Squad center, under the "experiencing virus-like symptoms" category. Hopefully, they'll be able to get it back up and running in short order; if they don't, I'll at least have a means of restoring a recent backup to my external drive.

The old adages are still true here: even if you think an e-mail is "safe", if you can't determine the sender, or the subject line doesn't make sense, trash it and don't open it. That's probably what happened to me; an e-mail claiming to be from H&R Block (which is the company that makes the software I use) was sitting in my Junk e-mail folder on MSN, and I thought it was a legit (or semi-legit) e-mail. Unfortunately, when I opened it, it had two big red-X picture holders. Guess what it really was.

And the other one – backup everything – is even more important. Ever since my buddy Eriks lost his hard drive due to a physical crash – mostly due to cramming TMS onto his computer – I've done backups regularly onto my ACER External drive. It's going to be a key feature for me to get back to 100%.

Right now, though, I'm stuck between two laptops – one Mac, one Windoze machine; one that's mine, one that's my wife's. I could do worse with my Mac, of course; I've got enough toys that I could very easily just run things using my iBook. Only thing, of course, is my dislike for how the Mac handles Excel. I'm so used to the shortcuts in Office 2003 in Excel, doing things on the Mac would be like pulling out hair. And I actually prefer my image editing on my Windoze machine – heresy, I know – but that's only because SuperPaint never made the jump over to OS X. A sad thing, that.

Anyways, lots of other fun things have been happening in the sports world since I last made comment: