The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Wednesday, October 06, 2004
A fresh set of rants now that I'm 37...
- Note to Mike Helton: you've gone over the line this time. I don't care if he's the son of the most popular driver in the modern era, and I don't care if he cussed on national TV. The only time you take away points in the championship standings is if a driver or team does something on the track that causes them to gain an advantage, or put another guy at a disadvantage. Saying "I don't give a s***" on TV does NOT justify docking him 25 points. Y'all may be more popular than the NHL or NBA right now, but if you keep doing stuff like that, Vince McMahon might be calling you in short order.
- Dear Sammy: don't let the front side of the door hit you on your back side on the way out. Confidentially, the Cubs would be a better team without you.
- I'm not saying that the visitor's dugout at RFK was in severe disrepair, but when they started the remodeling job to get the place back into shape for next April, they found a few 8-track tapes and a "Re-Elect Nixon" button.
- Now that everyone in the Cheesehead Nation is concerned about concussions, maybe we should try the Concussion Sentinel (www.concussionsentinel.com). It's a new piece of software that helps determine a player's baseline mental faculties, and tests their reactions compared to that baseline after they've experienced head trauma. Something like this could be really useful in sports - and other situations where people experience brain trauma.
- From what I understand, a liberal group centered by the SEIU here in Wisconsin apparently went to one of the county Republican Party Headquarters and did some intimidation tactics - taking yard signs and ripping them up, tossing campaign materials and such. Really classy, kids.