The View From Wisconsin

Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Books, Classics and Such

Okay, call me crazy, but I'm actually getting into the World Baseball Classic. Of course, it might be because the Far East group (Group A) is playing while I'm normally up. I do feel sorry for the Mets, who have twelve of their players playing in the WBC. I don't feel sorry for the Orioles, though - think that Bud may have tweaked it a bit that they got 11 players sent off to the Classic?

There are all sorts of rumors floating around about the Predators and trades, most of them centering around Brendan Witt. With the injuries to Mark Eaton and Yanic Perreault, however, David Poile is caught in a position he generally doesn't like - trading from a position of weakness. In the past, when Poile is forced into a position such as this, he doesn't make any trades. That is going to hurt, especially considering that Scott Walker and Vern Fiddler are still out. Fiddler would have been the logical choice to replace Perreault, but it's more likely he would have been the designated scratch on a regular basis.

I finally sat down and read through the book, Left Behind, by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. A couple of things about the book really got to me - the feeling that Rayford Steele had in discovering half his family was gone, and the absolute sinister nature of how Carpathia took power. I don't really have a desire to read the other 11 books in the series, but after completing this book, I feel like my faith has been strengthened.