The View From Wisconsin
Just a random set of rants from a Sports Fan from Wisconsin.
Thursday, April 30, 2009
- You're kidding - you can't use Opera to login to Facebook? I suddenly hear the sounds of millions of Wii owners screaming in agony.
- Small update: I have officially surpassed the 50k mark in sports cards. I now have 50,131 cards in my collection, of which 36,288 are baseball cards. It's a bit slow going at the moment, because I've got 87% of Series 1 Baseball from Topps collected. Thanks to a minor binge of buying those new Topps American Heritage boxes from Wal-Mart, I've now got 89 sets at 50% complete or more.
- Boy, Firefox is slogging along this morning. 105 MB of memory and I only have four tabs open. There has GOT to be a way of getting around FF being such a memory hog with add-ons and extensions.
- Game One of the Admirals Western Division Finals series with Houston is tonight. Houston was 3-1-1-1 against us in the regular season; that means they won three of the six games in regulation, lost one, and took us to overtime once and the shootout once. Part of me isn't very thrilled at that stat, but part of me also realizes that three of those games were from the early part of the year (before the team started to gel), and all three of those were road games. The two games we played them after the All-Star break, we split - but, as is often mentioned to me, we didn't have a full complement of players for those two games. This one's going to come down to the better goalies - Mac and Dek, or Khudobin and Brust (or whoever the backup is in Houston).
- There has been a proclivity of spiders appearing in our kitchen area. Not tarantula-size, mind you - the typical small nickel-sized garden variety. They seem to not like the rash change in temperatures much, and like to hole up in the corners of our kitchen. And, of course, the one that decided to camp out in the far corner of the office here as I was typing this up.
- Slowly, the Crew is working its way back up the standings. I remember when I used to complain that it was usually how we played the Pirates that would determine the success of our season; we just swept them here at Miller Park. Hopefully these guys don't tank against the Snakes this weekend, and then fall apart at PNC in that short two-game set next week
- From the "you can't go home again" department: I dusted off one of my old Petra albums, Never Say Die, after contemplating how much I liked the music on that tape. It's amazing that you can like some kind of music so much at one point in your life, and later on, it just doesn't sound the same.
- Unintentional Mood Lighting 101: The new energy-saving bulbs I bought for our downstairs bathroom have this slow-glow feature that mean they don't come to full power right away. That makes for an interesting time after you turn the light on and the night light slowly fades off.
- I have to remember when making chocolate chip cookies from pre-made dough to keep them in the oven longer, to make sure they turn nice and golden brown. This was the first batch I made (from generic Roundy's stuff) that came out pretty good - and very tempting.
- Three unknown things from the Bible:
- The words Jesus wrote in the dirt (John 8:6b).
- The song the disciples sang (Mark 14:26).
- Who, exactly, Jacob wrestled with before he visited with Esau (Genesis 32:24-30).